In 1722 a charity school was founded in Ampney Crucis by Robert Pleydell Esq, Lord of the Manor. The Robert Pleydell Trust, established at the same time, was endowed with the rents of properties within the local area in perpetuity and in 1791 the old School House was built. The income from the Robert Pleydell Educational Charity, as the Trust is now known, is still devoted to the maintenance and support of the school and to helping individuals living in the Parish of Ampney Crucis to further their education.
Today, while retaining a proud sense of its history, Ampney Crucis Church of England Primary School continues to develop.
Although the school still occupies part of the original School House, the majority of the building was constructed in the 1960s. Over the last few years the interior of the building has been altered and modernised, including the refurbishment of classrooms, toilets, library, hall, kitchen and the creation of a new administrative area. Great importance has also been attached to creating a stimulating environment outside the classroom, which is such a crucial platform for both academic and social development. We believe we can be justifiably proud of our fantastic wildlife area, kitchen garden and play areas.