You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
It really is worthwhile to find out if your child qualifies, as he/she could be having a tasty, healthy lunch at school every day (worth more than £350 per year). Also, due to additional government funding this year, you will not be asked to make a voluntary contribution towards your child’s class trips (this includes the Residential Trip for Oak Class) and swimming sessions.
Registering is really quick and easy – if you think you qualify, contact the Transport & Benefits Team at Gloucestershire County Council on 01452 425434 or 01452 425390 for help to register.
No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.